BERLIN — One of the traditions of the holiday season is the Berlin Main Street Program’s annual Christmas Ornament.
Each year, the program selects a historic building or structure to highlight. Past ornament subjects have ranged from the Nansen Ski Jump and the log drives to the Berlin Public Library and city hall.
This year’s model is out, and the subject is the Berlin and Coos County Historical Society’s Moffett House Museum and Genealogy Center on 119 High Street.
The 14-room Victorian house was built in 1890 by Letticia Abbott in what was an affluent neighborhood of paper mill executives. At various times in its history, the house was owned by International Paper Company and Anna Gross, owner of the Berlin Street Railway System. In 1949, Dr. Irving and Mary Moffett purchased the house as both their home and professional offices for Dr. Moffett’s osteopath practice. After the death of her husband, Mary Moffett donated the house to the historical society.
The center now contains a treasure trove of historical items about the city and region, including an exceptional collection of Brown Company memorabilia. The genealogy center houses the largest library of records north of Manchester. Dr. Moffett’s restored medical offices are also there, offering a glimpse into what an osteopath’s office from the post World War II era.
Proceeds from the sale of the ornament support Berlin Main Street activities throughout the year.
The ornament can be purchased at the Hall of Greetings on Main Street, at Northeast Credit Union, and at the Moffett House.