● Hillside Elementary School welcomed third, fourth and fifth grade students back on Wednesday, Aug. 30.
● School Hours: Hillside Elementary School hours are 8 a.m.-2:20 p.m. Please note that playground supervision starts at 7:40 a.m. For their safety, students may not be at the school before supervision begins.
● To aid in effective supervision of the playground during arrival time, family members are welcome to wait behind the fence and barricade area, not on the playground, please. When the bell rings at 8 a.m., students will line up by classroom.
● In the event of rain, students will wait for the bell in the cafeteria. A staff member will be at the entrance door guiding the way. Family members are welcome to say their good-byes at the door.
● School lunch and breakfast prices for the 2017-18 school year will be:
Lunch: Regular price: $2.80 a day.
Reduced price: $0.40 a day.
Cold lunch milk only: $0.50.
Breakfast: Regular price: $1.80 per day.
Reduced price: $0.30 per day.
Breakfast may be purchased daily.
Checks should be made payable to “Hillside Cafeteria.”
Applications for free and reduced lunch were issued on the first day of school. Applications should be returned to the office for approval the first week of school.
● School Safe Zone: The school will continue the “locked door” policy for the safety of the children and the faculty. The main entry for Hillside School is in the courtyard off of Willard Street (Door C). Access for those needing the elevator is in the courtyard via the wheelchair ramp (Door D). Access will be granted through a buzzer and intercom stating your reason for entry. All visitors are required to sign in at the principal’s office and receive a visitor pass. T school administration thanks parents and other visitors for cooperating as they continue this safety measure.
● Registration: The school will be accepting registrations for new students for grades 3, 4, 5 attending Hillside Elementary School from 9 a.m.-noon, and 1-3 p.m. in the principal's office. Bring a copy of the child's birth certificate and record of immunizations for the registration. Call the Hillside Office at (603) 752-5328 with questions or for more information.
● Bus passes: Students eligible for free bus passes were able to pick them up during “Meet the Teacher Hour” on Aug. 29 from 1–2 p.m. Students who live more than 1 mile from school can purchase bus passes at a cost of $50.
● School Pictures: Individual school pictures will be taken on Thursday Sept. 14.
● After School Program: SAU 3 and the Family Resource Center at Gorham are continuing to offer an after school program for Hillside School. Transportation home is included. The programs will be designed to work closely with classroom teachers and will supplement the curriculum and provide students with creative ways to build their learning skills. The program will offer snacks, homework help, enrichment activities and outdoor play. A small fee will be charged for participation, but no student will be turned away because of inability to pay. Contact Family Resource Center at (603) 466-5190, Ext. 315 for more information or to reserve a place for your child. Ms. Lindsey Demers will be the Hillside After School Program coordinator again this year.