CONCORD — Every day, ordinary people make extraordinary contributions by putting their own needs aside to help others in our community. The American Red Cross is calling on New Hampshire residents to nominate someone for the “Everyday Heroes Awards,” an annual event that salutes these often unsung heroes.
This year, Red Cross, along with our Unitil Corporation, is asking the residents of New Hampshire to nominate a friend, a co-worker or someone they know for the “Everyday Heroes Awards” so that people who have done something extraordinary can be honored for their selfless acts. A hero might be someone simply lending a helping hand or someone who’s saved a life.
The following are nomination category suggestions. It is possible that a category may not be awarded.
• Good Samaritan (over 18 or under 18) — Citizen responsible for an extraordinary act of heroism or courage
• Military member — Member of the armed forces (active or retired, commissioned or non-commissioned) whose lifesaving action went above and beyond the call of duty — this award may be awarded posthumously
• Fire Fighter - Professional or volunteer fire fighter or emergency dispatch operator whose lifesaving action went above and beyond the call of duty.
• Law Enforcement — Law enforcement agent whose lifesaving actions went above and beyond the call of duty.
• International Services — Individual, group or company in recognition of their commitment to humanitarian efforts in other parts of the world.
• Animal Rescue — An animal that saved the life of a human, an ordinary citizen who used lifesaving skills to save the life of an animal or animals, or to an individual involved in the care of animals.
• Aquatics — Lifeguard or ordinary citizen whose lifesaving action was able to prevent a serious water-related injury or drowning.
• Medical professional — Doctor, nurse or EMT whose lifesaving actions went above and beyond the call of duty.
• Community Impact — Presented to a community group, neighborhood organization or local company that consistently demonstrates a commitment to making their community a safer and more compassionate community.
• Community Service — Individual in recognition of volunteering their time to help others in the community.
• Lifetime Achievement Award — Individual in recognition of lifelong dedication and consistent support to further a cause that benefits the community.
Everyday Heroes nominees must meet the following criteria:
1. Nominee must be a resident of New Hampshire.
2. The heroic act/rescue must have taken place between Dec. 1, 2016, and Nov. 30, 2017.
Nominations are being accepted now through Dec. 15. To nominate a hero, go to the nomination redcross.org/local/new-hampshire-vermont/everyday-heroes/nominations.
The winners will be honored at the Everyday Heroes Awards event on Wednesday, April 18, 2018, at the Grappone Conference Center, 70 Constitution Ave., Concord.
The American Red Cross established the everyday Heroes Awards in an effort to raise public awareness of local heroes who reflect the mission of the Red Cross by responding in time of need with selfless acts of courage and compassion. The awards are presented by the New Hampshire / Vermont Region of the American Red Cross, Unitil and our community sponsors.