Snowmobile incidents make for busy weekend for Fish and Game officers

A snowmobiler led Fish and Game on a 14-mile pursuit before being apprehended Saturday during a busy weekend on the trails for law enforcement. Fish and Game also responded to a snowmobile accident and issued 45 summonses for a variety of violations over the past weekend.
With snowmobile season in full swing, Fish and Game said many snowmobilers were on the trails, particularly in the Pittsburg area.
Fish and Game Sgt. Mark Ober and Conservation Officer Eric Fluette were patrolling on Newell Brook Road in Millsfield late Saturday afternoon when they attempted to stop a speeding snowmobile. The officers allege the snowmobile, operated by Scott Brooks, 55, of Littleton failed to stop and instead took over at dangerous speeds over a variety of terrains with the officers in pursuit. The pursuit began at the southern end of Millsfield and continued for 14 miles until Brooks was pulled over at an intersection at the northern end of Baxter Trail.
Brooks was arrested and later transported by N.H. State Police from the trailhead parking lot to the Colebrook Police Department office. He was arrested on a misdemeanor charge of failing to stop for a conservation officer and charged with violations of unreasonable speed and operating to endanger. He was released on personal recognizance bail and will appear in Colebrook District Court at a later date. His snowmobile was towed from the scene and impounded.
The snowmobile following Brook’s vehicle was also pulled over for speeding. Fish and Game alleged the operator, Clay Chace, 52, of Monroe, denied knowing who was driving the other snowmobile when questioned by the officer. Fish and Game later confirmed the two were operating their snowmobiles together. In addition to a summons for speed, Chace was also charged with a misdemeanor count of obstructing a Fish and Game conservation officer.
In a press release, Fish and Game pointed out both men would have been charged only with speeding if they had stopped and/or provide truthful information.
Fish and Game believe speed was a factor in a two-snowmobile accident in Pittsburg Sunday. Hunter Judd, 25, of Concord was driving his snowmobile north on Trail 143 near Stub Hill around noon when he was almost struck by an on-going snowmobile. The operator of the snowmobile signaled there were other snowmobiles behind him as he narrowly missed hitting Judd’s snowmobile. Judd pulled his snowmobile to the far right of the trail but another snowmobile traveling south on the trail struck Judd’s snowmobile, causing significant damage to both. The operator was Jeffrey Marceau, 50, of Gilford. Judd received minor injuries while Marceau was uninjured in the accident.
Judd was able to drive his snowmobile and notify authorities. Marceau’s snowmobile had to be towed from the scene.
Pittsburg Fire and Police Departments responded to the scene. The accident remains under investigation.
Fish and Game reminds snowmobilers to use both hands to control their vehicles at all times and not to use them to inform oncoming traffic. Operators should be cautious because one never knows what might be around the next corner. Furthermore, when meeting oncoming traffic, operators of snowmobiles are required to reasonably turn to the right and reduce speed to avoid collision.