Poof Tardiff: 1903 IV

Hello fellow Berlinites. During April of 1903, a place called Cascade Park (behind Mary’s Pizza today) was getting ready to open up for its first summer traffic. A baseball field was created and put into first class condition.

In order to do this and have the field be a suitable size, the course of the brook (Tinker Brook) which skirted left field, was being moved nearer to the bank. One would pay a hefty fine today if they changed the course of a brook or a river. A tennis court was also laid out near of the casino for those who loved this sport.

The entire park was fenced with a board barrier 8 feet in height. There was no question that if this park could be kept free of people who wanted to destroy property, it would be a popular resort for both Berlin and Gorham during the summer months.

Cascade Park did serve the people of Berlin and Gorham well for a number of years. The trolley would stop to pick up and let people off near there all summer. Many events were held there up until Labor Day and the casino was a big hit.

During May of 1903, organized labor began to assert its power in this city. A huge strike closed the mills of two of Berlin’s largest and most import corporations. It was believed by the general business interests of the city to be the most deplorable happening in the industrial history of this city. That was the strike inaugurated by the pulp makers and saw mill men of the Berlin Mills company (Brown Company) that went into effect on Tuesday, May 12. This strike put more than 1,500 men out of employment.

This strike was very unfavorable to most involved and about two thirds of the men were not sympathetic with this job action. It was believed by most that the workmen of the Berlin Mills Company were as well or better paid than those of any other similar corporations, but the union wanted more concessions.

Meantime, the streets of downtown were full of the idle workers who were orderly and well behaved. It was feared though that they could become unruly as time went on. Downtown businesses were very worried also.

After 10 long days of striking, the men finally went back to work. Never in the history of the city had there been more sincere, heartfelt rejoicing by all classes of citizens after the announcement on Friday, May 22, 1903, that the differences between the operatives of the Berlin Mills Company and the Burgess Sulphite Fiber Company were settled.

One evidence of the wisdom of both strikers and operatives in arriving at an understanding was shown on Monday, May 25, when the gates were opened to admit the men. At that time, hundreds of strangers were present. These strangers had heard of the strike and came to town to take the strikers places, should the opportunity arise. I am sure that there must have been some problems with this.

The newspaper headline in the paper of May 20, 1903, was a proposition to the city by the famous Irish priest of Berlin Father Mackey. He said if the city of Berlin would build, furnish and equip with water and heating apparatus, a school building sufficiently large enough to accommodate 250 pupils on a plot of land to be furnished by him and when completed, lease said building to him for a period of 99 years at a nominal rental of one dollar a year, he would agree for himself and his successors, to bear all expenses of every nature or description. This included furnishing teachers, water, light and heating, keeping in repair, along with maintaining and running said school during this period.

He further agreed that all pupils attending said school, would be provided with with the most modern facilities for obtaining and acquiring a full and complete knowledge of the courses of study prescribed therein, which shall include all studies taught in the most approved modern schools, to pupils or like ages and conditions.

Father Mackey founded the Irish church (St Kieran’s) here in Berlin. He also owned all of the land around the church, which became known as Irish Acres. The school was built by the end of the year.

During the spring of 1903, several forest fires put this town in imminent danger and this city was practically surrounded by flames. Not until the beginning of June 1903 had Berlin been threatened in any serious fashion, though many small fires readily extinguished had been started.

Smaller towns in this county, including Colebrook, Stewartstown and other places had been so seriously threatened that practically the entire male population had been called out to check the flames and regardless of the timber destroyed, save the villages themselves.

Not until Saturday, May 30, 1903, was Berlin brought to the realization of the emotion that her sister towns had been undergoing. On this certain afternoon, a fire started on the side of Black Mountain on the land of the International Paper Company and before any measure could be adopted to check it, the fire had gained such a headway that all efforts in that direction were unavailing and were abandoned.

Fanned by a high wind, the sparks flew in every direction and volumes of smoke mounted in the sky for at least 48 hours. Hardly had the fury of this blaze spent itself, when the smoke began to roll out from the back of Black Mountain, to the west and fanned by the night winds, spread up the side of the mountain with amazing rapidity.

By Tuesday morning, yellow smoke laced sick over the city and from Mount Hayes to Cates Hill, the sun was only seen “as through a dark glass.” By Wednesday noon, the city was virtually surrounded by fire and heavy smoke. Objects on Berlin’s principal streets were indistinguishable at a distance. Showers of sparks and cinders also filled the air making chances of local fire is very high.

The city of Berlin was lucky to to escape this without having serious building fires. Black Mountain is the rise that can be seen from the Berlin-Gorham Road coming towards Berlin and is just beyond the head of Mount Forest. The mountains in this area are: Black Mountain, Mount Forist and Jericho Mountain.

I will continue with a history of Berlin in 1903 in my next writing.

Poof Tardiff writes a weekly column for the Berlin Sun. Questions or comments email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. Also, join the many friends of “Once upon a Berlin Time” on Facebook and guess at the previously posted weekly mystery pictures.

St. Patrick SchoolSt. Patrick School.

Mackey Father Edward 2Father Edward Mackey

Cascade Park CasinoCascade Park Casino.

Burgess Mill 1903Burgess Mill 1903.


Poof Tardiff: 1903 III

Hello fellow Berlinites. The spring of 1903 in Berlin, New Hampshire saw a lot of things happening, including accidents, new businesses and more.

The headlines on March 19, 1903, stated that one of the finest business structures in the county would be soon be built. It would be on Post Office Square and unlike any other building in town. The total cost would be $15,000.

The coming spring and summer in Berlin was very memorable in the history of this city’s growth and prosperity with the building of a new mill at the Cascades. It was also encouraging that one or two new buildings were completed before the fall and added immeasurably to the appearance and business importance portion of this city.

One of these was the new building that was owned by the City National Bank. The building was built on the site that was occupied by Dr. Denison on Post Office Square. Architect A. I. Lawrence said that once this building was built, it would be one of the most sightly and thoroughly elegant places to do a banking business in this part of New England.

The complete detail of this new edifice was written up with all its dimensions, rooms and inside finishing. Today it stands empty at the age of 114 years old on the same spot that was built back then.

A sad accident took place killing a man named Cyril Arsenault. Mr. Arsenault was a teamster for Blanchard and Twitchell (a logging company Berlin). Cyril was the victim of a peculiar accident on Saturday, March 21, 1903 that resulted in his death by Tuesday, March 26, 1903.

He had been hauling wood for the above named company all winter and Saturday was at Camp 35 preparing to bring out the camp paraphernalia. Along with several other men, Cyril was standing near a tree that had been recently felled. Into the stump of the tree, the woodsman who cut it, had driven his axe, the double edge kind.

For some reason, Arsenault jumped upon the butt of the fallen tree and as he did so, he slipped and fell with much force backwards and upon the stump that had the keen edge of the axe stuck in it. The blade penetrated the muscles in his back, severed one or two ribs and entered his lungs

Suffering immensely and in great danger of bleeding to death, the man was taken to the camp and Dr. Denison was summoned. Along with Dr. Catellier, they did all that could be done, but in spite of their best efforts, Aresenault died of internal injuries. The man's age was not listed.

Another headline was listed as a “Narrow Escape.” In this story, shortly after the whistles had blown the noon hour on Saturday, April 4, 1903, Main Street was the scene of a runaway which caused considerable excitement and came near to having serious consequences.

Percy Twitchell of Milan, who was in town on his regular market trip, left his team in front of the Wertheim Block (Morin’s Shoe store) on Main Street for a few minutes. While he was away, the horse was startled when someone opened up an umbrella. It bolted onto the sidewalk and started up the street.

A Miss Sheehan and was on her way to her boarding house at the time and had just passed the place where the horse was standing, when the animal made its wild dash. Hearing a disturbance behind her, she turned to see the horse almost upon her, but with great presence of mind, she ran for the steps in front of the Gilbert Block (corner of Main and Pleasant Streets). With the assistance of Myer Mineberg, she barely gained a safe spot in time to escape serious injury, but suffered slight bruises and temporary faintness.

Now, the horse turned sharply from the walk in front of the Gilbert Block spilling all of its contents and clearing itself from the carriage. The carriage collided with a post, reducing it to kindling wood and the horse proceeded to cross the Mason Street bridge, where it was caught at the B&M depot (Depot Restaurant today). These runaways back then caused a lot of commotion and damage.

Our Androscoggin River during these days, was loaded with logs. Some of these logs came right through the city and were destined for other places along the river. On Sunday, April 27, 1903, an interesting crowd of spectators congregated on the Mason Street Bridge all afternoon to watch the river drivers work thousands of logs over the dam at that place.

The logs varied in length from 4 to 12 feet, the different sizes being destined for various points down the river, the major portion being at Oxford, Maine. The sight of them plunging over the falls was well worth seeing.

The largest logs were lifted like matches by the tremendous current and driven into the seething pool below with power that caused them not to reappear upon the surface until they were far below the bridge.

Water in all of the surrounding streams was said to be at exactly the right height for the most successful river driving and every minute was being used by the various companies. I would have loved to have seen this take place back then.

Now that the Cascade Mill was in the process of being constructed, tracks from the Grand Trunk and B & M were being brought into this new business. During the first week of May 1903, another enterprise that gave employment to 200 or more men for the large part of the summer took place. It was the construction of a branch line from the Grand Trunk mainline to the new Cascade works of the Berlin Mills Company (Cascade Mill).

At this time, it had not been determined at just what point the branch course would begin. A number of railroad officials were in town looking over the ground and the matter was settled with the construction to begin at once.

Owing to the fact that the altitude of the Grand Trunk was so much greater than that of the location of the new Cascade Mill, it would be an undertaking of considerable magnitude to fabricate the road to good advantage involving a considerable amount of money. The fact that the line had to cross the road of the Berlin Street Railway was also a concept that had to be considered.

Of course, we still cross over this railroad line as we enter upon the Berlin-Gorham Road. This rail line has not been used in many years, but still stands there today (2017). A great amount of paper was hauled over these tracks to the Grand Trunk line for many years.

I will continue with the booming year of Berlin in 1903 with my next writing.

Poof Tardiff writes a weekly column for The Berlin Sun. Questions or comments email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. Also, join the many fans of “Once upon a Berlin Time” on Facebook and guess at the previously posted weekly mystery pictures.

Wertheim BlockWertheim Block

Denison DrDr. Denison


Cirty National BankCity National Bank

Catellier DoctorDr. Catellier


Trump’s insult hides lack of action on opioid crisis

By Sen. Jeff Woodburn

Ernest Hemingway opined, “Don’t confuse movement for action.” Or better yet, words for deeds. The brouhaha over President Donald Trump’s most recent, offensive sham that he won the New Hampshire primary because our state is a “drug-infested den” isn’t simply a childish rant — it’s dangerous language that vilifies those suffering with addiction and smears an entire state dealing with a serious public health and public safety crisis.

Trump’s outrageous comments shouldn’t be dismissed, as some of my Republican Senate colleagues have said, as “the president being the president,” or that the president “got out a little bit further than he should have with his language.”

Nor should they be downplayed as Gov. Chris Sununu did, by calling Trump’s insults “hyperbole” or a “mischaracterization.”

As a teacher and writer in rural New Hampshire, I’ve had a front row seat to the ravages of the opioid epidemic.

My native Coos County has the distinction as the place with the highest combined death rate due to drugs, alcohol and suicide in all of New England. People are literally dying of despair, and I’ve seen too many promising students succumb to the effects of this terrible illness. Remember, “the devil haunts a hungry man.” While substance abuse touches all people, the burden is far heavier when you’re poor and powerless.

Trump’s words aren’t just crass hyperbole — they’re symptomatic of an insidious, disturbing policy to belittle and abandon the most vulnerable among us.

Ironically, the struggling, working-class communities whose faith propelled Trump to the White House now find themselves the target of the president and his Republican apologists.

This abandonment is seen not just in word but in deed. Rather than deliver resources for our treatment providers and first responders to end this epidemic, Trump proposed drastic budget cuts that would only make the crisis worse. And instead of making bipartisan efforts to provide more coverage for opioid treatment, Trump and his Republican allies have instead prioritized repealing health care, which would devastate our efforts to expand treatment options.

We need to be more practical and less ideological; open our minds to smart policies and our wallets to sound investments. Yet the new Republican budget will spend more than 12 times the amount of money per year on tax breaks for the wealthy elite than on combating the opioid epidemic. To make matters worse, Republicans chose these corporate tax breaks rather than fully funding the alcohol fund, which provides needed resources in combating the opioid crisis.

Again and again, we’ve heard families crying out for treatment only to be told that the medical resources they need aren’t available. Renewing our bipartisan N.H. Health Protection Program is the single most effective way to increase access to treatment because the program offers substance abuse coverage. But Trump and his Granite State sympathizers have blocked attempts to stabilize our health-care market, increase competition and reduce costs.

To be clear — what stands in the way of progress is the Republicans’ rigid, impractical ideology and plain-old “penny-wise, pound-foolish” mentality. Our state’s famous frugality often serves us well. But neglecting necessary investments in our state’s health-care system erodes our quality of life and the very essence of what draws people to New Hampshire.

Caring for the health and well-being of our citizens is one of our most sacred obligations. We don’t even need additional revenue to fulfill that responsibility. Instead of deep corporate tax cuts that the business community isn’t even asking for, we should be investing in strengthening and expanding the health-care services that our most vulnerable Granite Staters need.

With most of the state’s incarcerated men being in my district, I’m a regular visitor to our prisons. I recall touring the hobby shop, where long-term inmates learn the skills to craft beautiful things. These inmates forge a better life from their past transgressions — avoiding drugs and crime because they live for their work. It gives them reason to live and propels them on a path to a stable, fulfilling life.

We need to focus on creating rewarding work and optimism for a better future. Any path to recovery must be woven together with hope and commitment to expand opportunity for all. By fanning the flames of despair, Trump and his defenders are hiding their cynical policy of no help or hope for those that need it most.

We should rightfully be insulted by Trump’s repulsive comments, but it’s the deeds of Trump and his Republican allies that Granite Staters truly deserve an apology for.

Sen. Jeff Woodburn of Whitefield is the Senate Democratic Leader and represents the North Country in the N.H. Senate.



Hikes Coming in NH for Individual Health Insurance Premiums

Distant Dome

“Who knew health care could be so complicated.” President Donald Trump.

Unlike the federal government and many states, New Hampshire has a bi-partisan expanded Medicaid program under the Affordable Care Act.

By most measures, it has been fairly successful, including helping treat those caught in the state’s “drug-infested den.”

However, premiums in the individual health insurance market are expected to increase by 40 percent or more for 2018.

The spike in premiums for the approximately 100,000 Granite Staters covered in the individual market on the exchange — about half on expanded Medicaid — is indicative of changes in the Affordable Care Act.

But making changes in the act passed by only Democrats in the early years of the Barack Obama administration has been impossible as the GOP wanted nothing short of repeal and Democrats feared opening the act would lead to its doom in Washington’s toxic political climate.

In New Hampshire, Republicans and Democrats worked together crafting a plan that relies on existing insurers both for the individual and small business markets.

While that helps reduce the risk for state government and ups payments for hospitals, physicians and other providers over traditional Medicaid, it has also contributed to the spike because of greater than anticipated costs for the long-time uninsured entering the market.

Those costs helped put the largest insurer in the individual market in New Hampshire — Minuteman Health — under the Massachusetts Division of Insurance’s receivership.

Minuteman, a cooperative owned by its policyholders, covers 27,000 individuals and about three dozen small businesses, according to the New Hampshire Insurance Department. The company earlier announced it would not offer policies on the New Hampshire exchange for 2018 and would reorganize into a corporate insurance company.

Cooperatives were established by the ACA for several reasons. One was to lower premiums costs by eliminating profit while increasing the number of insured in the market.

But the money to help both cooperatives and private companies that guessed wrong on what it cost to cover the newly insured was eliminated by the Republican controlled Congress as another way to undermine the program.

Running for president, U.S. Sen. Marco Rubio from Florida took credit for removing the money from the budget.

The so-called risk corridor was intended to be a three-year program to help insurers who experienced much higher than anticipated costs and was based on a similar program when Medicare drug coverage was instituted under the President George W. Bush administration.

Without that money, companies like Minuteman had no way of cushioning the blow from large losses and inadequate pricing.

In New Hampshire Insurance Commissioner Roger Sevigny proposed a plan that would address the issue in a different way, but was shot down by key lawmakers and Gov. Chris Sununu.

The plan would have essentially reestablished the state’s high-risk pool, which all insurers contributed to to cover high-cost individuals, something eliminated under the ACA.

Sevigny’s proposal would have assessed all insurance companies writing health insurance in the state a fee and with federal money established a pool to help offset losses and lower premiums.

Sevigny called his proposal “reinsurance,” but was told to propose something that does not assess insurance companies for the cost.

His plan was an attempt to stabilize the individual health insurance market in New Hampshire that is teetering on implosion all around the country.

While Sevigny tried to calm the waters here, what is happening in Washington is doing much more to roil the insurance market nationwide.

Many insurance executives say the uncertainty of what will happen is doing more to increase risk than covering sick people.

Do the millions of people who were able to procure health insurance for the first time or after an extended period without coverage return to the ranks of the uninsured? Will hospitals and health organizations again shift billions of dollars of losses to those who have insurance? And will the federal government live up to what it promised when it passed the health care overhaul law seven years ago?

The Trump administration has already taken actions that have destabilized heath insurance markets. Trump signed an executive order telling federal agencies they no longer had to enforce its provisions.

That means the individual mandate for insurance is no longer enforced nor is the mandate for smaller businesses to provide their employees with health coverage.

That results in young, healthier individuals leaving the market and reducing the revenue available to cover costs for the sick, which is how insurance has always operated.

And the Trump Administration has refused to commit beyond a month at a time to pay insurance companies the subsidies given low-income individuals to purchase coverage.

Without the subsidies, insurance companies are going to make up the difference by increasing the costs of premiums for everyone not just those on exchanges.

One of the objectives of New Hampshire’s Medicaid expansion program was to reduce hospitals’ uncompensated care which at one point reached more than $425 million.

State Senate Majority Leader Jeb Bradley, one of the architects of the state’s plan, called it a hidden tax that everyone pays.

Uncompensated care results when hospitals provide services they are not paid for, mainly through the emergency room, or do not receive the full costs of services from the state’s Medicaid program with its historically low reimbursement rates.

With Medicaid expansion, the uncompensated care for New Hampshire hospitals dropped by more than $150 million which served to if not lower premiums for those on private insurance plans at least lower increases.

If the individual market falls apart, uncompensated care will make a crashing return and premiums will spike for everyone.

That is why doing nothing is not an option except for those advocating a single-payer system.

That is why cooler heads on both sides of the aisle are beginning to make some overtures to one another.

Many in Congress — maybe not a majority — realize the individual health insurance market needs to be stabilized or everyone’s premiums will increase.

Sen. Lamar Alexander, familiar to many in New Hampshire for his red plaid shirts when he ran for President twice, is chair of the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pension Committee. Alexander has proposed working with Democrats on a one-year plan to stabilize the market which is a start however unlikely a solution may be.

And Congress men and women will be back in their states for the next four weeks and will hear from their constituents.

Republicans may have ridden opposition to “Obamacare” to control of Congress and the White House, but more and more people benefit from some of its key provisions like preexisting conditions and keeping children on parents’ plans until they are 26 years old.

Like former Gov. Maggie Hassan, Senate President Chuck Morse, Senate Majority Leader Bradley and former House Speaker Terie Norelli knew in 2014 when Medicaid expansion was first approved, once those uninsured were covered there is no turning back.

Once you give people something, from same-sex marriage to Claremont education funding aid, it is almost impossible to take it away without very serious consequences and politicians know what those consequences are.

(Over his three-decade career Rayno has closely covered the NH State House for the New Hampshire Union Leader and Foster’s Daily Democrat, and his coverage spanned the news spectrum, from local planning, school and select boards, to national issues such as electric industry deregulation and Presidential primaries.)


Poof Tardiff: 1903 II

Hello fellow Berlinites. As a result of differences of several months standing between the International Paper Company and the paper makers union of this city, the paper department of this company was shut down on Feb. 13, 1903.

Superintendent Hooper of the IP Mill was notified that the machine tenders, back tenders and others working, would not report to work on this day. This necessitated the closing of the paper department.

The strike of the IP employees which began on Feb. 13, 1903, and caused the hearts of Berlin’s businessmen to palpitate for a short time, was amicably settled within a week. The company was satisfied, the employees got what they wanted, and everybody was happy.

The following agreements were made: The day tour would work 11 hours a day and 60 hours per week, all receiving pay for the actual time worked at their rate per hour. The night shift would work 13 hours a day and receive 65 hours pay as their weekly wage. Some of the rates went up from $18 per week to $19.80 per week after the strike was settled and the daily rates went up from $3 to $3.25.

There were many more strikes that took place at this mill, eventually closing it in 1930.

In 1903, Berlin was the leading city using the great power of the Androscoggin. It had been well stated that there were riches in falling water, equal to mines of coal and gold. It was natural wealth which cost but little to develop. The sun with his great suction pump hoisted the water from the sea to the freshwater reservoirs in the hills and it began to run back to the sea again.

All man had to do was to negotiate the flow and put turbine wheels in the way. The water did the rest and became a willing worker for him. The revolution of the wheels meant power, light, heat, and now in Berlin’s case, paper. When all was at peak, we were only using 20 per cent of the power of the water coming through our fair city.

By March of 1903, Berlin voters emphatically endorsed the administration of the past year. Yes, after the smoke was cleared during the 1903 local election, the city’s affairs would remain in the hands of Mayor John B. Gilbert for another year.

For the first time in the history of this new city, the union labor element had taken a systematic and organized stand in municipal affairs with their candidate for mayor, Mr. Henry M. Moffett.

It was Mayor Gilbert’s popularity — and not only his popularity, but widespread appreciation of his earnest, honest and successful administration — that gained him many votes without regard to party affiliation that another candidate would have secured. Mr. Gilbert won the election by 313 votes, to make him this city’s CEO one more time.

In April 1903, Berlin’s chief hotel, the Berlin House on Exchange Street, changed owners. There was hardly any institution of a public nature or otherwise that added or detracted from this city back then, then it’s hotel. This was why the sale of this Berlin property became big news back in 1903. It was sold by Henry A. Marston to Mr. F. E. Farwell.

Mr. Farwell’s reputation as a hotel man was very well and favorably known throughout the North Country and with him as manager-owner the Berlin House would become even more popular as a “stop over” for the traveling public than it had ever been.

Mr. Marston sold at this time because of continuing ill health, as well as interests outside of the hotel business that demanded more of his time. Marston had been a resident of Berlin since the days of its infancy and his distinctive energy had helped in large measure to make the city as great as it was in 1903.

No project for the advancement of this place had ever been submitted to him without receiving his approval and hearty cooperation and aid. He was a man of pronounced characteristics and ideas, that once enlisted in the cause, nothing could turn him from it, or cause his interest to drop. This inherent energy and vigor in all matters was due much to the success that Mr. Marston had in life.

Henry F. Marston came to Berlin in 1868, about the time that W. W. Brown bought the Winslow Sawmill (Heritage park today). At once, he appreciated what was in store for the small village of Berlin in a matter of growth or business interest and he bought the property where the old St. Regis Academy is today, which was called the Cascade House back then.

For many years, the Cascade House was the largest and most popular hotel in this section and then, as the trend of the population and business came toward the site of the 1903 business section, Mr. Marston built under his own supervision and direction the Berlin House, which he ran for 15 years.

In 1897, after the town became a city, Mr. Marston was the first choice for mayor and he was reelected. It was not in Mr. Marston’s interest to leave Berlin, so he would build himself a residence and devote the rest of his life to his lumber and other interest.

The first drowning of the season in Berlin, took place on Tuesday afternoon April 29, 1903, on the Androscoggin River when Joseph Corriveau slipped from a log while fishing. Mr. Corriveau lived just above the Clement Block (Badger Realty today) on Main Street.

Corriveau had recently returned from driving on the lower Androscoggin near Berlin, where for weeks he had escaped every danger that threatened him. On this day, the young man went with three companions, to a place near the old Dustin farm (near the Milan line) to fish.

The water at this point is very deep and swift where the young man was standing upon a log, which lay partly in the river. His companions were some distance from him when they heard a cry for help, and rushing to where Corriveau had been, saw that he had fallen from the log and was struggling in the water, being hurled further and further out of their reach and help.

In the excitement of the moment, one of his companions, Adelard Fortier, jumped into the river to save his friend, not knowing or realizing that the water at this point was 20 feet deep. Fortier could not swim and instantly disappeared beneath the surface of the water.

It was with extreme difficulty that the two remaining men rescued Fortier. By the time they dragged him ashore, Corriveau’s cries for help had ceased and he had disappeared beneath the current.

Help was summoned, but the body was not found by the time the story was released. Corriveau was just 22 years old, and in spite of his hazardous occupation, could not swim.

That was the same story with many of the great river drivers from this area. They could not swim a stroke, yet they worked in water all day.

I will continue with the year 1903 in my next story.

Poof Tardiff writes a weekly column for the Berlin Sun. Questions or comments email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. Also join the many fans of “Once upon a Berlin Time” on Facebook and guess at the previously posted weekly mystery pictures.

Moffett Henry MHenry M. Moffett

John B. GilbertJohn B. Gilbert

International Paper CompanyInternational Paper Company

Berlin House 1903Berlin House 1903