GROVETON — The 2018 Winter Blast 100 date is set for Jan. 20.
Post-time will be 2 p.m., and a severe weather make-up date has been scheduled for Saturday, Feb. 3, at 2 p.m.
Officials for the race released the rules for the event on Tuesday. This race has no boundaries, as any type of vehicle is allowed. In the past, such units as school buses, hearses, mini-vans, pickup trucks, SUVs and all types of cars have competed for the giant winner’s trophy! There will also be a $100 prize for the best-themed car costume.
There are very few rules for this event, and here they are:
• Absolutely no studded tires, chains or any traction enhancement devices. Absolutely no loading of tires, and only one tire per wheel is allowed. No size constraints.
• No 4-wheel drives or all-wheel drives allowed. On 4-wheel drives, one driveshaft must be removed. On all-wheel drives, either the front or rear must be unhitched.
• School buses, hearses, mini-vans, pickup trucks, bread trucks and all types of cars are allowed. No sanders on school buses allowed. Diesel rigs allowed.
• Regular anti-freeze allowed.
• One passenger allowed in the front seat. Passenger must be at least age 16.
Mandatory safety rules are:
• Driver and passenger must have working seatbelts. Five-point harnesses are suggested but are not mandatory.
• All glass, except for windshield, must be removed.
• All doors must be welded or chained shut.
• All hoods must have a 16-inch hole cut in them.
• All vehicles must have a working fire extinguisher.
• If you have a passenger, you must have a mandatory window net on the passenger side window.
• Everyone must wear approved helmet and gloves. Fire suits are not mandatory but are highly recommended.
• A four-point cage is highly-recommended, but not mandatory. The cage can have a hoop from side-to-side and one leg forward on each side. Absolutely no bars in front of the radiator. No reinforcement of any fenders is allowed. Full cage is accepted.
• Both front doors may have a piece of flat stock 3/16 of an inch thick by 6 inches wide welded to them or 2-inch-by-2-inch share tubing. They may not extend more than 4 inches ahead of the door or behind the door.
• All batteries must remain under the hood.
• Windshield wipers are allowed. Screens may be used instead of windshields.
• Absolutely no alcohol allowed in the pit area or in vehicles. Alco sensors may be used if deemed necessary.
• All costume items must be securely attached either inside or outside of the vehicle.
• Fourteen is the minimum age to compete.
The 2018 purse is $500 for the winner, $250 for runner-up, $100 for third, $75 for fourth and $50 for fifth.
The entry fee for this event is $25. There is also passenger fee of $25 and a pit fee of $20.
General admission for the grandstands will be $12 for adults, $10 for seniors 62 and up, ages 12-16 are just $5, and kids 11-and-under are free.
For more information on this event and others, go to speedway51int.com, or call the track hotline at (802) 266-0240.
Speedway 51 is located on Brown Road in Groveton.